Sunday, May 9, 2010

Celebrating!

When I was in the second grade, my class made pin cushion gifts for our moms for Mother's Day (my brother, with the same teacher, made the exact same gift five years later). The project involved spray-painting an empty tuna can and gluing in half of a round styrofoam ball covered with a small square of fabric. In spite of the fact that the styrofoam is nearly disintegrated at this point, my mother still has and uses her two tuna-can pin cushions that my brother and I lovingly crafted for her more than twenty years ago.

Every day with my daughter feels like the best Mother's Day gift ever. But I admit that I can not wait until my daughter makes me a tuna-can pin cushion.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms I love -- my own mom, my parents' moms, my friends who are moms to babies and toddlers and older children, my friends who are moms-to-be with bellies of all shapes and sizes, my friends who are moms to pretty pooches and crazy cats. And most especially, to my friends who are "moms in training," as I was on this holiday last year. I'm celebrating all of you today!

3 comments: