Sunday, May 2, 2010

Menu Review: Week of 4/25

We're currently under a "boil water order" here. Boiling anything when it's 85+ degrees outside is not fun.

Everything was good this week, but here were the stand-out, make-again recipes...

First, the risotto. I admit, I've never met a risotto I didn't want to marry and have babies with. But this was a particularly good risotto. I didn't use the "good" olive oil and I used boxed organic chicken broth and it was still a delight. The fact that it was full of yummy spring veggies even made me feel like I was eating something healthy. Swap out the chicken stock for veg and it's vegetarian-friendly. Yes, make this.

The pistachio-crusted chicken with carrots was a really great dinner as well. The carrots were especially delicious. I just used regular (toasted) sesame seeds instead of black. I know this recipe is from a fitness magazine, so this would kind of defeat the purpose, but I feel like the crust on the chicken would have been even better if there was a little oil drizzled on there before baking. I plan to do that when making this recipe again.

I've actually never had General Tso's Chicken before - when it comes to fattening Chinese take-out, my heart belongs to kung pao - but it's my husband's favorite, so when I came across the Everyday Food recipe for Lighter General Tso's Chicken I had to give it a try. I had nothing to compare it to (thought it was very good!) so I defer to my husband's review which was two enthusiastic thumbs-up.

Bonus recipe! This weekend we had the treat of visiting some friends on the South Shore for lunch. One of the items served was this incredibly delicious Israeli Couscous Salad which I can't wait to make very soon at home. Highly recommended! As a side note, we brought cupcakes from Sweet for dessert and I am now head-over-heels in love with their cheesecake cupcake. It is not an exaggeration that it is one of the best sweet treats I have ever eaten. I wish I had a whole box of them right now actually... ;)

-----
What we're eating this week:
(a very light week for cooking with family visits aplenty on the calendar)
Toasted Orzo with Olives and Lemon
Chicken Salad with Green Beans, Almonds and Dried Cherries

3 comments:

  1. i l-o-v-e making salads out of israeli couscous, i might have to try that one. but i'm in search of whole wheat israeli couscous (out of deference to weight watchers) so until then, this recipe shall remain a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the Israeli couscous salad would work with quinoa? I just bought a little bag of it, but I've never made quinoa before and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salad would probably work well with quinoa - the texture would be different, but the taste would be nearly the same since both grains absorb the flavor of whatever they are mixed with.

    If you're looking for other good quinoa recipes, here are three that we really like!

    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896

    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianandvegansalads/r/greekquinoa.htm

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001493.html

    ReplyDelete