Friday, April 30, 2010

song du jour

For all of the various things that I love, music is probably the only thing that I can really define using the word obsession. I pretty much can't do anything without music being involved. I cook and do dishes to the local oldies station (no other music will do for the kitchen, trust me). A train or bus ride always has a carefully thought-out soundtrack (and, while listening, I often drift into a daze where I imagine myself as being in a movie, with the music in my iPod [formerly discman, formerly walkman] playing over one of those pivotal-to-the-plot travel scenes). I was a teenager who communicated almost exclusively in the language of mix tape (and as an adult, I now often communicate in iTunes playlist). So many songs are forever bound to specific moments, experiences and people in my life. I still have some of my old mix tapes from grade school, high school, and college, complete with cleverly collaged covers... even though I no longer own the technology needed to play a cassette. I just can't part with them. Pandora was one of the greatest inventions ever for someone like me.

While I have a long-standing list of true favorite songs (and it's tough for a new song to make it onto that list), my "favorite" song changes on a near-daily basis. I get giddy when I hear a new (or at least new to me - unfortunately I'm lacking that sixth sense for sniffing out great new bands ahead of the curve) tune that tickles my ear just so, and I'll go on to play that song on repeat for a short period of time before I'll move on to the next new thing. After hearing the same notes drifting out of my office for the umpteenth time, my husband will roll his eyes and ask "song du jour?"... Indeed. :)

Here's the current song du jour:

No comments:

Post a Comment