It was a short week for recipes since we spent a lovely long weekend with my parents for Easter. I'll never get tired of watching my parents shine in their new roles as grandparents with Phee.
The Pot Roast Carbonnade was our choice for the last heavy, comfort meal of the season. Now that spring weather seems to be here to stay, we'll be switching to lighter fare for dinner. This dish is far from healthy (starring what my husband calls "the three Bs": beef, bacon, and beer), but it is delicious. The caramelized onions really add something to what would otherwise be just another beef stew recipe. I've already filed this away to make next year when we're in the midst of yet another cold New England winter.
I admit, I don't cook with cream of something soup very often. In fact, the only recipe that I ever make that involves canned soup (cream of celery) is my mom's recipe for deliciously retro tuna noodle casserole. I'm kind of afraid of the gelatinous texture when the can is opened and the weird yellowish tone. So I stepped out of my comfort zone to make the Greek Chicken and Pita Casserole this week. I opted for the "healthy request" cream of chicken soup, with a bit less sodium and fat. I wanted to like this recipe a lot, but it just wasn't quite right to me. Still good, just not really good. I think I may try to make it again, next time sauteeing the onion, garlic, and zucchini first (they were all still mostly raw in the casserole after 25 minutes in the oven), probably with the chicken (I poached some chicken breasts to use this time). The taste was good overall, and I made sure that the pita triangles and feta were at the very top so they got nice and crispy in the oven. It doesn't keep very well as leftovers (it was kind of like a cold panzanella the next day for lunch), so I'd recommend making it for a dinner when it would be finished that night.
The pork chops and rice were good, but nothing special. I just used regular old jasmine rice in my rice cooker for that, but I don't think that was why the dish failed to really wow us.
-----
What we're eating this week:
Curried Pork Burgers
Hoisin Beef with Edamame Noodles
Lemon Chicken Stirfry
Roasted Garlic and Grape Tomato Pasta
Pork Chops + Asian Snap Pea Salad
Sunday, April 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If you are going to be posting your recipes every week, I am going to be visiting every week. I am in need of some great Spring meals that are healthy. 'm bored with my old standbys.
ReplyDelete