Monday, March 29, 2010

Lunch, Day 2

For the lunch challenge today, I decided to try a version of another favorite sandwich from another deli in NYC. I actually can't remember where I had this sandwich, so unfortunately I can't give proper credit, but I do remember it being in the flatiron district. I was a bit skeptical when I first ordered it, wondering whether all of the different flavors would work well together. No need for worry - it was delicious.

The original sandwich consisted of an herbed mayo (yes, I will eat mayo if it's dressed up and spread lightly enough on the bread), peppercorn turkey, jarlsburg cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and avocado (if you see a trend, yes, I do love avocado on a sandwich) on a whole wheat roll.

For my version of the herb mayo, I settled on italian parsley, mint, and basil chopped in the mini-prep and mixed with half mayo and half plain yogurt. I just put in generous handfuls of parsley and basil and a smaller amount of the mint, and what amounted to probably about three tablespoons each of the mayo and yogurt. There's plenty of extra mayo for sandwiches over the next few days.

I decided to help keep the calories down by assembling the sandwich on one of these new-fangled Arnold Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins, which are basically a cross between bread and an english muffin. I spread the herb mayo concoction on one side, then layered on a slice of jarlsburg, a few slices of peppercorn turkey, one oil-packed, sun-dried tomato (cut into strips), and a quarter of an avocado. Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment