I just finished reading the latest entry on Far Beyond the Stars about refocusing on what is important in your life. I found it to be very timely, considering I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately with balancing what I want (and in some cases, need) to be doing and what I feel like I should be doing... and, admittedly, often what I actually am doing (mindlessly surfing the internet, watching the TV simply because it's on, etc) doesn't fit into any of those categories. Like so many people these days, I imagine, I would have a lot more time - or at least feel like I have a lot more time - in each day if I really focused on what I truly want and need to be doing. I'd probably have so much free time that I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Maybe I'd even have time to take up any of the 1000 hobbies that I've wanted to give a try over the years.
Read the full entry here. Here are my personal favorites from the 32 suggestions:
1. Slow down. The best way to refocus on your priorities is to slow down. Take 10 deep breathes. Walk slower through life and appreciate every moment. You’ll start to see clarity when you take time to appreciate every moment.
14. Sit in silence. Simply sit in silence for 30 minutes. Don’t worry about meditating. Sit on a comfortable pillow, or in a chair, close your eyes and let the thoughts pass through your brain. A time-out like that can change your thinking and help you refocus.
17. Throw out the plan. Plans are just guesses. Too many people spend 80% of their time planning and half of the time they never get to the actual execution. I’d like to let you in on a secret: execution is everything. The plan isn’t necessary if you don’t do anything. In most cases you can do something without a plan. Cut out the preparation and start making things happen.
31. Eliminate obligations. People tend to collect obligations like we collect junk. The problem is that sometimes we don’t take stock to see if we’re getting anything out of them. Take a moment and make a list of everything you’re obligated to do every week. Now strike out everything that you hate doing. This can free up a huge amount of time.
I'm off to refocus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment